Saturday, January 11, 2014

A New Adventure

Yesterday at work I got the opportunity to tour our Youth In Government program as they had their annual conference. I can honestly say I had no idea such a program existed. It's amazing how big the program is and how amazing these high schoolers are!

For those of you who aren't aware of the program, YIG is a chance for 8th-12th graders to participate in a mock government. Students can work their way through the court system, House of Representatives, and one ambitious student even gets elected as the Youth Governor! These kids vote on bills, learn about lobbyists, argue in court, and so much more. I've never been that into politics before since I tend to believe that as a whole politicians are more concerned about getting things their way than actually helping people- not the point of my post though haha.

I met this year's Youth Governor and let me tell you, she is amazing. She's this beautiful young lady that's a senior in high school that is so polite and charismatic that I was blown away when introduced. Guys, this girl is is this tiny little thing and yet she commands more respect and authority than most adults I know. She was brilliant and confident while being humble at the same time.  Basically after listening to her talk to our group for ten minutes it made me:
- rethink my high school choices
- rethink my college choices
- feel completely inadequate as far as my life choices 
- feel utterly humbled beyond any level I've been to before
  

Bonus: I've never been to the capital building so of course I had to take pictures. I can not believe how beautiful the building is!





Cheers!

Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment